Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Humility?

This should be an easy task for me... Do something for someone else without telling them or anyone else... Easy!

See most of my job is exactly this. It's what I thrive on; Serving others. It has been a hallmark of my ministry for years. So I don't see how this can be a problem task.

The thing is, it WAS a problem task. Many of the God52 bloggers encountered the same type of problem. See, while I love doing the background tasks, I also love getting recognition for it. Who doesn't? I tell myself that I don't need recognition or applause, but deep down it is what I crave. I want people to say: "Look at Paul. Look how selflessly he works to help others even without recognition. Paul is great!"

It's hard to come to realize that even unrecognized service is not motivated by a humble heart. True humility is thus something I cannot claim to have achieved. Not here in this blog anyway. Maybe I have managed to be truly humble at times, but in being truly humble I probably did not acknowledge it. That's the difficulty with humility, isn't it? You can't claim to have achieved it.

This was definitely a useful exercise though. It is good to review your perceptions and mindsets and hold them up to the light of God's standard. It serves well to remind us just how much grace we need! Time to reconsider my motives and refocus on God alone, I think!

No comments: