Friday, February 08, 2013

Desire vs Will

It is interesting to me how often things coincide in my life. Different aspects, from difference sources, come together at the same time. So it was when God52 called on us to fast 1 day in the week, OM also called on us the fast in the same week. Thus a 1 day fast became combined with a 3 day pray & fast.

Food has never had much of a hold on me. I eat when I'm hungry, but have never had a problem eating too much. It's surprising then that fasting is so difficult. The craving for food is incredible during a fast. I've gone through days, when I am really, really busy, where I completely forget to eat. Start a day of fasting though and suddenly all I want to do is eat! It doesn't help that odd temptations arise as well.

For example, the only time that my house mate has ever offered to share his breakfast with me was on the same day I was fasting! The second day of my 3 day prayer & fast (I was just fasting lunches), one of our workers came in and offered me Kudu droewors! He's never done that before!!

I suspect that God throws these things at us to test just how serious we are about the commitment we made. I see this not only during fasting, but also with other commitments. We might be tempted to blame the enemy for these tests - and perhaps sometimes it is him - but I suspect more often the testing of our commitment comes from God. He wants to see us thrive in the challenge. He wants to see our will triumph over our desire.

I wasn't so good at it this time. The Kudu wors was too much... I took a bite even before I realised what I was doing! Next time I'll do better!

No comments: