Friday, August 17, 2007

Buying a car

So how does God help in buying a car. Sure he can miraculously have someone donate you a brand new one. Or he could prompt someone to give a large cash donation toward one. Or he could just do the unlikely as I have discovered twice now in the last year....

On returning from Turkey I was really keen to get involved with off-road rescue. Before going into mission work I was very involved in volunteering with an off-road rescue unit here in Johannesburg, and I was keen to get back into it. The problem; 4x4's are expensive and I only had about R40K to spend on a car. I am determined that I will never owe money on a car again, if I can help it and so a loan was not an option. Rather than worry, I put the problem to God...

On a visit to my folks I decided to take a look at second hand cars in Pietermaritzburg. I searched high and low for something that I could afford that was in reasonable condition. I wasn't looking for a 4x4 exactly. Then at one dealer I found a Hyundai, which looked pretty good, in my price range. So I asked for a test drive. And while I was waiting for the salesman to bring the keys I looked up across the road and, would you believe it? There stood a red Suzuki jeep (4x4) for sale! I had yet to see any 4x4 I could afford, but something in my mind said: "Yes, that's it!"

But I'm a practical guy, so I decided to test drive the Hyundai anyway, because that was more practical. I got 2 blocks up the road before blowing the head gasket! It was almost as if God was saying: "Oh no you don't! You asked me and I've gone to great lengths to prepare a car for you. Now you will buy it!" I left the car for the salesman to sort out and walked back down the road.

Now the little doubter in me was saying: "It's useless! You won't be able to afford it!"

I look; The price: "R39000"

Little doubter: "Yes, but for that price it's probably got big issues!"

I look; Exterior very good; Interior also very good; low mileage.

Little doubter: "It's not going to be mechanically sound!"

I take it for a test drive. The salesman says it's been recently reconditioned. It's a bit slow, but it only has a 1000cc engine. So what can you expect? Mechanically - no problems.

Little doubter: "..."

And there it was. In answer to my prayer God arranged a red Suzuki jeep 4x4 for under R40k in very good condition down in Pietermaritzburg. Just for me! I drove that jeep for 1 year without any troubles, enjoying my time back in the Off-road rescue unit. God truly is great.

(Next in Part 2: Practical Paul makes a return!)

No comments: