Friday, April 14, 2006

Learning and Listening

I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my stay here in Turkey. A lot of time thinking about my decisions and the progress I've made. I realise now that there has definitely been a difference between how I have viewed my stay here and how others have.

For most other people here the most important thing is to learn the language well. You want to be able to communicate with local people and build good relationships. I agree that learning the local language is very important, but I realise that my focus has been somewhat different. My focus has been on trying to find a long term solution for staying here. And this is where the views differ.

From the learning perspective it would appear that I'm cutting my stay shorter than it needs to be. In truth I could stay at the university until the middle of June. For "learning the language" focus this would seem the best option. But as I mentioned that has not been my focus.

I have viewed my stay here as a test. The test was to see whether an opening would be revealed for me to stay longer. From my perspective I have been listening for direction from God. The test lay in the residence permit. I have realised through this process that it would be very difficult for me to stay here and do the things I feel I need to do. In truth, I could stay. But the methods for staying would place me in a position where I would not be able to pursue my dreams. This is not acceptable to me and not the way I see God working.

From the listening perspective then I feel my decision makes sense. There is no point in my continuing with something just for the sake of continuing. Especially when there are other options available to me.

It is time for me to stop the "training" now and get down to some "real" work!

No comments: