Monday, February 27, 2006

Happy Birthday to me

So yesterday was my birthday. I had planned a normal Sunday. Wake up late, go to church and while away the afternoon with friends. Unfortunately it didn't go as planned. I woke up early and discovered I was rather depressed. Depressed about getting 1 year older. Depressed about being away from friends and family. Just plain depressed. Not a good way to start a birthday.

This is possibly the first year that I've really been concerned about being a year older. Mostly I've never cared much. But this year I'm thinking, it's 1 more year. What have I done? I'm still single. I'm still not getting to make the difference I wanted to make when I started out 1.5 years ago.

Sure I know I am making a difference of sorts. I've been able to affect the lives of countless people by just being here. But, I don't know, I want to do more. I just can't see what it is I want to do, or how to do it. My little niche if you will.

Fortunately friends and family came to the rescue of my poor struggling birthday. Sms', emails and phone calls started to make my day much more worthwhile. Crowned also by the surprsie invasion of my house by my friends here. Bringing cake, chips and coke and all those usual party type things. They just arrived, Turkey style, and started having a party. Those who know me well, know that this is probably the only way to get me to have a birthday party!

So the day wasn't completely lost and I did actually have a good day after all.

And now it's Monday and back to real life...

No comments: