Friday, November 25, 2005

Life is about choices

Each day we get choices to make. We choose to wake up or get out of bed. We choose to go to school/work. And most importantly we choose how we react and respond to things that happen to us. Simply put, I can choose how I respond to the challenges that each day presents me. To be honest I don't think my choices here have been very good so far. I seem to have been choosing to look at the negative all the time. I fear this is a personality trait of mine. I'm a perpetual pessimist. Sometimes I am just being realistic, but other times I am failing to see the positives in a situation.

So here I have been focussing on my dislike for studies. How hard it is to motivate myself. How useless I feel. And it occurs to me this is only a downward spiral. It can only lead to me becoming depressed. Instead I need to look at the positives. School offers me an opportunity to meet and make friends with some really interesting people. I don't have the extra stress of a job. I can relax and just learn Turkish. It's gonna take about 2 years anyway!

So the major thought... We can't always choose our situation, but we can always choose how we respond to it.

No comments: